Re: Mezzo's Obligatory Ice Level Month

Day 31: Rainbow Resort (Kirby's Adventure)

Here I am playing a Kirby game at the end of the year again. Kirby's Adventure isn't the first Kirby game, but it's arguably done more for the series than any other, as this game was the introduction of Kirby's signature copy ability. King Dedede has stolen the Star Rod, and it's up to Kirby to gather the pieces and save Dream Land.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENIlLIPUwAAbm38?format=jpg&name=large

Rainbow Resort is the last of 7 worlds. Well actually, the ice levels are the last two stages of Orange Ocean and the first one of Rainbow Resort, but eh, details.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENIlLIQU0AAmhcI?format=jpg&name=large

Naturally, Ice Kirby's been a thing since the very beginning. There's two ice abilities: Ice spews icy breath forward, while Freeze freezes enemies all around Kirby. Both turn enemies into ice cubes you can kick forward, another signature of ice-based copy abilities.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENIlLICU0AEZO7o?format=jpg&name=large

Breaking the blocks in this room has water flood the bottom, killing the Blade Knights on the lower floor. That's honestly pretty impressive for an NES game.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENIlLIIVUAYRhiA?format=jpg&name=large

You lose your ability if you take even one hit, so I did a lot of shuffling around here.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENIlZifU8AAItds?format=jpg&name=large

UFO Kirby is easily the most overpowered, as it grants free flight plus a laser that can be charged for up to four different attacks. Unfortunately, you lose it at the end of the level.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENIlZiXVUAAMwpC?format=jpg&name=large

It made blasting through Meta Knight's army a breeze.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENIlZiYUYAAHARC?format=jpg&name=large

This area is pretty dark, plus has a lot of corners for lasers to ricochet off.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENIlZiaUUAEns9H?format=jpg&name=large

And then this... icy cactus field? marks the end of the ice levels, and the transition into the more surreal, dreamlike areas of the Resort.

The Rainbow Resort music has a soft lullaby-like quality to it. This is one that gets remixed a lot in later Kirby games, and for good reason.

202 (edited by Mezzopiano 2020-12-02 20:38:36)

Day 1: The Crown Tundra (Pokémon Sword)

It begins again! I'm doing ice level month as videos on the youtubes this year. Here's the first episode, in which we take a journey across the snowy regions of Pokémon Sword, meeting many Ice types along the way.

203 (edited by Mezzopiano 2020-12-02 20:39:10)

Day 2: Arctic (One Step From Eden)

We continue ice level month with a run through the arctic area of the deckbuilding roguelike, One Step From Eden. Will we make it all the way to Eden, or will we end up lost in the frozen wastes?

Day 3: Eden's Verse: Refulgence (Final Fantasy XIV)

Yesterday, we were One Step From Eden, now we've reached it, with the Eden raids of FFXIV's Shadowbringers expansion giving us a fight against the classic Final Fantasy ice goddess, Shiva. Special thinks to Gerel Himaa and Y'shalva Ratli for joining me on this.

Day 4: Snowman's Land (Super Mario 64)

Today's ice level comes from the famous classic that established 3D platformers as a genre, Super Mario 64. Join Mario as he runs around the giant snowman's domain and snatches up all those Power Stars.

Day 5: Mountain (Journey)

Today's ice level takes us on a journey in, well, Journey. Join me and a mysterious ally as we go on an adventure across the snow lands.

Day 6: Frozen Veyeral (The Void Rains Upon Her Heart)

Today's entry is an abstract game about showing love to monsters. We're off to find some icy monsters and thaw their cold, cold hearts.

Day 7: Harvest of Screams (Starcraft II)

Today we look at a particular mission in the Starcraft II campaign. Sarah Kerrigan and her Zerg Swarm will have to weather harsh ice storms in order to defeat their enemies.

Day 8: Ice Palace (Deathsmiles)

Today's ice level comes from Deathsmiles, a bullet hell game with a frantic pace and a gothic horror aesthetic. Let's get this cute witch through a crystalline ice palace.

Day 9: Glacial Tomb (Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night)

Today's ice level is from a game that is very similar to, but not actually from, a certain series about a castle filled with monsters. Join the Shardbinder Miriam as she makes her way through the icy heart of the castle, in a rare case where the final battle takes place in the ice world.

Day 10: Bryyo Ice (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)

In the third game of the Metroid Prime trilogy, the bounty hunter Samus Aran visits many different worlds to save them from corruption. As it so happens, one of these worlds has a small icy section, which is what we're looking at today.

Day 11: Enigma Nebula (Wonder Wickets)

Today's level comes from a very cute game of space mini-golf. In a dark, cold corner of the universe, the Wonder Wicketeers face off against a series of challenging courses.

Day 12: Icecap (Sonic Adventure)

Today we play a classic and an important part of Sonic's history. Join Sonic the Hedgehog, Miles "Tails" Prower, and Big the Cat as they enter a grand adventure filled with high-speed platforming, thrilling snowboarding, and... ice fishing?

Day 13: Planet Mazone (Bomberman Hero)

This one is a relic of the famous Bomberman's Nintendo 64 days. On his adventure to be a true hero, Bomberman heads through the caves and mountains of the ice world Mazone, encountering many different gameplay styles.

Day 14: Long Woods (Underhero)

This is a cute RPG-type deconstruction game where you have the opportunity to kill or spare enemies... no, not that one. The other one. Our masked minion-turned-hero must adventure through a haunted manor in an icy forest to complete their quest.

Day 15: Arendelle (Kingdom Hearts III)

This is the big one. One of the most anticipated (and longest!) levels of this month, the world from Kingdom Hearts III based on a certain movie about a snow queen. Sora, Donald, and Goofy team up with Elsa, Anna, and Kristoff to save their world from the Heartless and eternal winter.

Day 16: Frozen Hillside Zone (Sonic Robo Blast 2)

Today's ice level is from a well-made Sonic fangame created in the Doom engine, as weird as that sounds. It's a short one-act zone with a nice little surprise at the end.

Day 17: Battle Glacier (Freedom Planet)

Today's comes from another Sonic fangame, or at least a game that was originally developed as such. Sash Lilac will have to use all her speed and power to make it through this glacial battlefield unscathed.

Day 18: Stranded Ship (Shovel Knight)

The Blue Burrower, the Shovel of Hope, the knight with a shovel! Today we join Shovel Knight as she makes her way through the icy domain of her former ally, Polar Knight.

Day 19: The Mountains (Life Goes On: Done to Death)

Today's game is another one about knights. I lead many to their doom as they are frozen into beautiful ice cubes. Some of them may die, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Day 20: Echo's Edge (Kirby Star Allies)

It's Kirby's latest adventure, and he's bringing all his friends along. Join them as they travel across the snow lands of Planet Popstar, and beyond!

Day 21: Mount Wario (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe)

Today we race our way down a few icy courses in the newest entry of the Mario Kart series. I'm not gonna let a little snow stop me from reaching the finish line.

Day 22: The Summit (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)

Today happens to be my birthday, and I'm celebrating by smashing up this icy stage. This is also my first time checking out the new character added recently, too.

Day 23: Forsaken City (Celeste)

Today's entry comes from the famous and heartwarming game about exploring a mountain of self-realization. I technically could do the entire game, but I wasn't feeling that masochistic so I settled on the first chapter.

Day 24: Holiday Broadcasting (Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko)

Merry Christmas Eve! Today we're getting festive with a Christmas-y themed level in this forgotten N64 platformer.