Topic: Dune Meets Some New Friends

Airship

-Dune's nose twitches. Which is odd - his nose doesn't usually twitch, especially when he was asleep. Dune groans, expecting another part of Deziree's schematics to have blown onto his face. He opens his eyes, and blinks in confusion.-

Dune: ... Wait... that's not a schematic...

-Resting, balanced almost perfectly on his nose, was a plastic card. On it was an image of a poker chip, and red, stylized words declaring, You have been invited! Please make your way to the nearest dead-end door.

Dune: ... Wha?

-He takes the card and flips it around. The back is perfectly blank.-

Dune: Well, that's more than a little weird. Uh, hey Dezi...

-Deziree looks over at him from her desk.-

Deziree: Yeah?

Dune: I might end up regretting this, but I'm going to step out for a bit.

-Deziree gives her boyfriend a thumbs up.-

Deziree: Don't let me stop you. I've got a project to work on, and I'm sure my feminine intuition will let me know if you get into trouble.

-Dune blinks, a little confused, but just shrugs and nods.-

Dune: Alrighty. Be back... eventually.

-Dune gets up and heads out into the hallway. He sees a nearby doorway, with a sign above it designating it a janitor's closet.-

Dune: Well, I suppose that counts as a "dead end".

-Dune goes to the door... and stands there for a moment.-

Dune: Do I... just... open it up? While holding the card?

-Dune stands there like an idiot for a second before opening the door. He's immediately beset by odd sounds, smells, and music. The normally-dead end door opens up into a wood-paneled hallway. Dune takes a step inside and knocks on the wall.-

Dune: Heeeel-loooooo...?

-A short man wearing a skipper's hat opens a nearby door.-

???: Oh, goodness, there you are! My name is Reginald Von Winslow. Welcome to the Inventory!

Re: Dune Meets Some New Friends

The Inventory

Winslow: I apologize if our invitation was a tad cryptic - you see, our usual fifth player could not make it tonight, and we had already received a player from your dimension before. Also, you looked quite bored.

-The odd, short man led Dune into an odd room with an unused stage on one end. At the side of the room was a bar, where a rather attractive and... oddly dressed woman was reading a paper, looking rather bored. In the center of the room sits a poker table where a set of odd... "people" sit. They all turn to lay their eyes on Dune.-

Bulky Blonde Bodyguard: Who's this? Captain Smalltalk couldn't make it?

Winslow: Unfortunately yes, the Player could not join us due to previous engagements. In the meantime, I'd like to introduce you to Derek Morton, also known as "Dune".

-Dune blinks.-

Dune: Uh... hey.

-He gives a meek wave.-

Bulky Blonde Bodyguard: Projecting a lot of confidence there, aren't you?

Giant Dog with a Nice Hat: Oh, give the kid some slack, Brock. I bet you this is the first time he's ever been in an omnidimensional accretion nexus.

Grizzled Man with the Iron Hand: Yeah. I mean, even you say this place is weird.

-A white mechanical array drops down from the ceiling, pointing a single blue camera at Dune.-

White Robot Array: It appears this individual has been exposed to a variety of radiation and high-quality testing material. You wouldn't have happened to have worked for Aperture Laboratories, have you?

Winslow: Please, everyone, give him some room and introduce yourselves. One at a time, please.

Dune: Uh, yes. Please.

-The Bulky Blonde Bodyguard gives a wave.-

Bulky Blonde Bodyguard: Name's Brock. Brock Samson. I'm a bodyguard.

-The next person, a robot who had up to that point been staring at a rather odd-looking trophy, snaps to attention.-

Rhomboid Robot: Huh? Oh, a new guy! I'm a CL4T-TP helper robot, but everyone calls me Claptrap!

-The next person (and last human) waves a metallic hand.-

Grizzled Man with the Iron Hand: Ash Williams.

-The last person at the table, the rather large dog, tips his hat.-

Giant Dog with a Nice Hat: Name's Sam, Freelance Police. The rabbit over in the booth's my partner, Max.

-Max jumps out of his booster seat to look at the newcomer.-

Max: Hey! You! What universe are you from? You remind me of someone!

-Dune blinks. Thankfully, Winslow steps in.-

Winslow: He is from Universe 23-1-1-16-20, just like Mr. Pentigan was. The Owner decided that it was worth dipping into that particular participant pool yet again.

Max: Oh! Neat! Tell Pent I said hi! Also, tell him to call me sometime~

White Robot Array: I am GLaDOS. I will be your dealer tonight. Who knows, you just might be the control group.

Bored Woman at the Bar: And my name's Moxxi, dear. Here, come here for a moment so I can get your favorite drink.

-The four at the table start talking amongst themselves as Dune heads over to the bar.-

Dune: I, uh, guess... a soda?

-Moxie blinks.-

Moxie: ... Just a soda?

-Dune shrugs.-

Dune: I guess? I don't usually drink alcohol, and that with cards seems like a bad choice.

-Moxie laughs.-

Moxie: Don't tell Musclehead over there - he'll call you a lightweight. But don't feel bad. You're automatically smarter than eighty percent of the people sitting at that table.

The Inventory

-Dune steps through the door.-

Ash Williams: Hey, it's Dune!

Sam: Well look what decided to crawl out of the desert! Good to see you again, kid!

Brock: Hey.

-Dune looks around. Ash is sitting at a table with what looks like a whiskey, Brock is over at the bar, and Sam's sitting with Max. Max appears to be trying to lick his own ankle.-

-Max is a little weird.-

Dune: Hey, guys. Where's the little robot?

-GLaDOS drops down from the ceiling, which doesn't surprise Dune nearly as much as the first time.-

GLaDOS: The little robot could not make it due to a previous engagement. A "Pre-Sequel" of some kind. We have invited a different person to sit at the table - one with actual dimensional travel experience.

-The door opens up behind Dune, and a rather large pompadour attached to a man steps through.-

Pompadour Man: Good evening, everyone. You can call me Ringabel.

-Brock rolls his eyes.-

Brock: Now they're inviting pretty boys. There goes the neighborhood.

4 (edited by 0blivion!Dune 2014-12-31 19:51:53)

The Inventory

-Dune looks down at his cards as GlaDOS deals out the first hand. Two fours. Okay, not bad.-

GlaDOS: I wonder exactly how this first game will go, considering how badly Mr. Morton cleaned out your pockets last time.

Dune: Eh, I got lucky.

Brock: Uh huh, sure ya did.

Ringabel: I'll have to remember to keep my eyes open for this, then.

Sam: Don't let that pompadour get in the way, pal.

Ringabel: The art of the pompadour is the art of putting one's soul into your image.

Ash: I think you may be looking a bit deep into a hairdo.

-Brock's eye twitches as the first three cards are revealed. A ten, a jack, and a four. Dune now had three of a kind, likely far better than what anyone else had.-

Brock: Hmmm... I'll raise.

-Eyebrows go up around the table as Brock pushes a fair amount of chips into the center of the table. The newcomer looks down at his own hand.-

Ringabel: Hah. I think I'll call.

-Ringabel adds a matching stack.-

Ash: I'll call.

Sam: Hmmm... Call.

Dune: Call.

-The next card is revealed. Another four - Dune now had four-of-a-kind. The best hand you could possibly have with this board.-

Brock: *twitch* What, you want this pot? Then go ahead. Take it from me.

-Brock pushes ALL of his chips into the pot. Surprised declarations pop up all around. Dune knew that he was trying to bluff people out, though, since Dune could see, without a doubt, the best hand possible between his hand and the board.-

Ringabel: Now, how am I ever going to top that? Oh, I know. All in.

-Ringabel pushes in all of HIS chips. Brock bites his lip as Dune gives a wry smile.-

Ash: Well now, that's just unfair. Now I HAVE to go all in.

-Sam cringes as Ash's chips go clattering into the pot.-

Sam: All of this peer pressure! Ah, well. All in.

-Everyone's eyes turn to Dune. He can't help but give a gigantic, toothy smile.-

Brock: Uh oh.

Sam: That's the same smile Max makes when he's got the Necronomicon.

Ash: Welp, time to go get a drink.

-Ringabel looks around confused.-

Dune: All in.

-Dune pushes in all of his chips. Brock flips up his cards. A two and a ten.-

GlaDOS: Brock has, between the ten in his hand, the ten on the board, and the three fours on the board, a full house.

-Ringabel flips his cards. A three and a Jack.-

GlaDOS: Mr. Dim also has a full house.

-Ash flips his cards. A ten and a queen.-

GlaDOS: Mr. Williams has a full house.

-Sam flips. A jack and a king.-

GlaDOS: Again, a full house.

-Dune flips his two fours up. Everyone at the table groans.-

GlaDOS: Dune has four-of-a-kind. Dune wins the hand...

-Dune collects all of the chips. ALL of the chips.-

GlaDOS: ... And the game, it appears. Well, that certainly opens up my schedule.

-GlaDOS retracts up to the ceiling.-

Dune: Thank you all your generosity tonight.

Ringabel: Wait... how did that actually happen?

Brock: I dunno, but I think I'd rather forget about tonight. Moxxi, some lager please...